Tuesday 14 January 2014

One song can make a moment

   No matter where we go, we are never far from music. Whether it's someone with headphones in, or a radio in a car or shop, or just birds tweeting each other, it's always close. The most curious thing about music is how it can change things.

   Music is used most effectively in films. A soundtrack can make or break a movie - use the wrong track at the wrong time and a whole scene could fall apart. Some of the best soundtracks usually tend to be instrumental; Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings have some of the most iconic and effective soundtracks. However, other songs are associated with certain films, too. Hear AC/DC? Think Iron Man. Hear 'Love is All Around'? Think Bill Nighy in Love Actually

   Music affects us in ways we don't even realise at the time. When we are in a self-pitying mood, some people seem to deliberately gravitate towards sad music. After a few club hits, all I want to do is go out. Music can change our mood regardless of how we think we're feeling. For example, Christmas Eve I found myself walking home in the dark, through my 'nothing-ever-happens-here' village, down the same roads I've walked since I can remember. Even in the dark, I've felt particularly threatened or edgy about the walk. But this time was different. This time, I put my headphones in and listened to VersaEmerge 'Lost Tree'. I came across no other people or cars, as you'd expect at 11pm, yet for the first time it felt eerie. I found myself speeding up, and after the build up in the middle, I found myself running home. All because of the music.

   I often wonder how people can not care for music - it's such a part of everyday life. If you don't think it can change you, I recommend taking a familiar route at night with 'Lost Tree' playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment